Saturday 6 April 2013

Being grateful for sadness

This sounds completely absurd as I write it. How can anyone be grateful for sadness? After my son's arrest and speaking with him on the phone and hearing him crying and crying, my pain as a mother grew, I felt so sorry for his pain, I wanted to make it all better. After some reflection on all I've learned about feelings I felt grateful for his sadness, the thought of the sound of his crying, gave me hope. He is feeling, it has been so long since he has cried, so long since he has felt. I thanked God for his pain. Please let this be a breakthrough, please let this mean he is ready to feel what he is experiencing, if he can feel this much pain, this means he can feel this much joy (I learned this from Sark). I sat crying as I thought of this, my tears were not of sadness but of gratefulness that he can feel again, of hope for a desire to change.
Photo credit:recovery & Hope Facebook page

1 comment:

  1. I have been there myself, and I know it sounds harsh, but this maybe a blessing. We have to fall hard to the bottom before we can feel the consequences of our own self destruction. It's what woke me up into reality!, and made me start the process to recovery, and change the way I was living my life. You & your family are in my Prayers. Catherine Lyon @LUV_Recovery

    ReplyDelete