Wednesday 17 April 2013

Are we defined by our "Story"?

I feel victimized by my son's situation. I am so tired of being a victim. I don't want my life to be defined by my son's decisions to live his life in the shadow of drugs. Often times when we are struggling through times of crisis we repeat events that have happened in our heads, over and over again. We think them through, re tell our stories, trying desperately to understand the pain. According to Sark's book, Glad, no matter what, these stories we tell go on for much longer than the feelings and each and every time we re-think it, each and every time we re-tell it, those feelings are reawakened "and we think we are still 'there'".
There are times I would like to just forget my "stories" and move on. Then the mother comes out and says " how can you move on when your son's life is falling apart?" Well, we can move on. We can make a decision that our life will NOT be defined by our addict's story. We learn how to let go. We learn how to forgive. We can learn to tell new stories. We can learn how to live for each moment and love each moment as we live them instead of fearing the future. If we stay in the present moment and live that story each day, the pain is sure to subside. We learn that we can only control our own thoughts, our own actions and not those of our addict, we stop being a victim, we learn to live again.
Photo credit: Recovery and Hope Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment