Tuesday 9 April 2013

A Change of Heart

What is it that makes an addict change their mind about the lifestyle they have chosen? What is it that finally makes them decide to get help? How far down is rock bottom anyway?The answers to those questions are very unclear, unknown to anyone actually. Everyone's rock bottom is different, very different. I think, as a parent, when we hit our rock bottom is the time when we finally say, ENOUGH! It is a time when we say "Its time for you to go, and us to heal, when you want our help and to change your life, we will be there." AND MEAN IT!! I think I have hit rock bottom a few times. This past month was certainly my lowest. My son has finally decided he has had enough. He has finally decided he cant keep fighting this losing battle and he can't do it alone. He has asked to go back to treatment. This is the miracle we have all been waiting for. This is something I honestly had figured I may never hear come from him. I am so grateful for this change of heart. I am scared to death that something will change, that something may go wrong, that the wait may be too long, I am terrified of many things but I am learning little by little to let go. So here we go.....for now, he sits in the youth detention center and waits, very impatiently, for an assessment and a date, I pray it isn't too long, I pray he stays motivated to change.
The picture is borrowed off the Internet and belongs to its respectful owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment