Tuesday 2 July 2013

Unpredictable living

The world of addiction is an unpredictable place. I believe this is in part why, as a parent, we feel so confused. One day there is life & death crisis and the next day, everything seems to be ok. Sometimes this gives us a sense of false security, we think that maybe we imagine the worst and really, everything is ok. Then out of nowhere BAM , the life of unpredictability strikes once again. Maybe it comes from being manipulated for so long or living in denial that keeps us hoping that what we see, or think we see, can't possibly be real. 

I live my life, at this time, hoping for the best every day but trying to be prepared for the worst. This is a hard way to live and it makes trying to generate that positive energy in our world pretty tricky, I know it's possible that we can trick ourselves but can we truly trick the universe? 

I was at a family education group and we did a group relaxation/imagery session. One lady expressed how much she hated it. That when she was picturing her own 'happy place' the audio kept telling her to picture somewhere else. I thought this was interesting. So much like the life we live. We try to imagine a happy place and go about our lives and someone else keeps throwing us into another "picture". I think that the value of guided imagery and visualization is understated and under-used. Through practice we can learn how to retreat to our "happy place" whenever life throws us elsewhere. 
One of my favorites is Max Highstein's healing waterfall. It is available on iTunes. There are lots of others but I have always really loved this one, it is 16 minutes. Give it a try, go to your "happy place". 
Thanks to Recovery and Hope Facebook page for another great photo

No comments:

Post a Comment