Wednesday 17 July 2013

If we don't see it, does it still exist?

You know the saying "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" Well, I got thinking about this. Makes me think a bit about how messed up the world is and how people choose not to pay attention, does it make the problem go away? As a parent, when my addict was living at home, I knew most things that were happening, I knew when he was high or drunk because I could see it. Now, I don't see him every day, when I talk to him, he seems good, when I do see him, he appears sober. I feel better, I feel more at peace, less stressed all the time. Is this a false sense of security? Maybe. Is it bad that it feels better? Is it horrible that I can have a peaceful and sound sleep at night? I don't think so. Do I worry less? Sometimes I do. I mean I see less trouble, therefore, I am not worried every second of the day. I think, as parents, when our children are gaining independence, we want to know everything they are doing, we worry about all of it. I know thinking back to being a teenager myself, my parents would have been terrified if they knew everything that I was doing, but I did ok. Maybe, it is ok not to know everything. Maybe we have to trust more, trust that they will use the morals, values and skills we have taught them growing up, and when we aren't around to "hear them fall", maybe they will pick themselves up faster, and be stronger because of it.

 My affirmation of the day: I am proud of my children as they overcome their challenges and confidently reach for their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment