Monday 18 March 2013

Making a choice to change

When our loved one continues down the road in active addiction, we often wonder, what is it that will finally help them to make that life changing decision for change? Well, to this question, there are no real answers. It could be anything that triggers that decision. I am not a firm believer that a person has to hit rock bottom necessarily to make that move. I have read, and read, and read some more, searching for the answer, the answer that will help me to help my son break free of his chains and leave this hell behind us. Through all that research, I have learned only one real truth; there is no answer, there is no cookie cutter method to help. One thing that did strike a nerve with me, I read that an addict will not purposely put themselves in a position to be more uncomfortable than they already are to accept change. This is how "rock bottom" will often happen, they need to realize that the life they lead now is more uncomfortable than the life they will lead sober. So I guess, through this I realized that if an addict is perfectly comfortable doing what they are doing, why in the world would they ever set out to change their behavior? There comes a time, as a parent of an addict, we may have to move outside our own  comfort zone and shake it up, in hopes that maybe they will make the choice we are praying for.
Nobody said being a parent would be easy, that is for damn sure!
Photo credit: Recovery and Hope Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment