Tuesday 5 March 2013

Laughter the BEST medicine

We have all heard the saying "Laughter is the best medicine." Well, I have certainly noticed how laughter helps me when I am feeling stressed, so I decided to do a little research on the topic.
Laughter not only increases the reward hormone in the brain~dopamine, but triggers an increase in endorphins & serotonin! (these are the reward & mood hormones in the brain), it also decreases cortisol, which is the stress hormone in the brain! Laughter has positive effects on the mood & motivation, as well as learning!
A good dose of laughter is highly recommended every day to improve your health, happiness and even increases life span!
So, I started thinking, if laughter increases the dopamine in the brain (this is the brain's reward center, the increase in dopamine is what addicts are looking for in the high) why doesn't every recovery program and drug treatment center use laughter therapy as a way to help through recovery? At the very least, as families in recovery, we should be watching more comedy and finding ways to laugh more!

I found this "off the wall" treatment for stress LAUGHTER YOGA!! It incorporates yoga poses and laughter therapy. So I will leave you with this video clip from The Discovery Channel......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhN3Ryw4O4

No comments:

Post a Comment