Sunday 26 May 2013

Suffering grief

I have mourned my son at least a half dozen times over the past two years. I know what it feels like to lose a child. I have lost my son in so many ways, I have grieved this loss, more than once. I know what it is like to have a missing child, a child living on the streets, a child in jail, a child overdose, a child on drugs, a child on their 'near deathbed'. I have suffered and overcome all of these things. Pain that no mother should ever have to endure. Having a child lost in the world of drugs may be worse than death at times. It's like watching your child being abducted, from right before your eyes, like watching them being smuggled out of your home, out of your life. It's not knowing; where they are, if they will make it, if they are hurting and crying for help and you don't see it, it's pure living hell.
This is why coming to the honest realization that we are powerless over our child's addiction is so fundamentally important. Until this is truly understood, healing cannot begin, for us, or for them.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine what it's like on the other side of things...I certainly wouldn't be able to watch either of my sons doing what I did...I don't know how you do it. I mean, I do, but I think it's probably harder to let go of the addict or alcoholic than it is the actual alcohol or drugs. It just seems so very difficult as a parent to go through this. Sigh. And to think, when pressed to our addiction, one of the things we say is "I'm only hurting myself."...

    Blessings,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete