Saturday 11 May 2013

Peace of mind

In the midst of a storm, can one all of a sudden-see clearly? Yes, I believe they can! We often hear that, for an addict, you never know when the right person will say just the right thing, perhaps the same thing they have heard over and over by many people, but all of a sudden, they hear it like never before. Well I think that has happened to me! The same things I have heard and read and thought a million times, all of a sudden something clicked inside me, and triggered peace.
I have an acceptance, a clarity and a peace that I haven't experienced before. What a wonderful feeling. I'm not even going to allow fear to take it away, I am really going to have to keep consciously working on certain things (letting go of my son, not offering advice, trusting in him) but I feel, for the first time, I can do this!

When I saw my son briefly yesterday for 5 minutes and he scooped up his little brother and hugged him like he meant it, smiled-a genuine smile-for a picture with his brother and hugged me, I saw that wonderful, sober, beautiful boy again, he had a sparkle in his eye, I believe in him, I saw, for a minute, that maybe, just maybe, he may be starting to believe in him too. It's a bit like I've broken the chains that have been binding us together in a very unhealthy relationship, maybe for his whole life. I feel peace, in my mind, in my heart, for the first time in a long time. This is what it feels like to really let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment