Saturday 1 June 2013

The tortured life of an addict

From the eyes of a mother. Watching our addict struggle can be brutal. The torment that a true, hardcore addict must feel is truly painful to witness. Imagine knowing that smoking that joint or drinking that beer may lead you down a dark path alone, from which you won't be able to see your way out, and still doing it. Imagine the torment it must be to desire something so bad but you know that giving in to it will rip you away from those who love you most, but giving in to it anyways. Imagine wanting something so bad that nothing else really mattered.

 Drugs are powerful, they can take over your mind and your life and help you dig a hole so deep you feel you may never be able to get out, so you keep digging. To turn your back on the power of drugs and alcohol and decide you can overcome this torture takes a drive from within, a great determination that many of us non addicts will never experience. 

When you meet a recovered addict, hold them in your highest regard, know that they have overcome deep torment, know that you are meeting someone with true willpower,strength and drive, someone who deserves tremendous respect for overcoming life's greatest challenge. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could take credit for my mental obsession for the drink leaving me, but it's nothing to do with me. My Higher Power did that for me, and it wasn't until I surrendered to my alcoholism and working the 12 steps was I able to get out of that torment and horrific demoralization that went along with it. Surrender is where I started victory, oddly enough.

    Thank you for this post. Not many of us get where we are now. But the one thing every single one of us addicts and alcoholics have and cling onto is hope. There is always, always hope. That never goes or fades away or dies.

    Love and blessings,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, once again, thanks for sharing "the other side". The 12 step program really does seem to be the answer for so many. Understanding higher power and that the higher power can mean many things, different for everyone. Many youth really struggle with this concept and seems to take so much longer to surrender.
    I have a deep respect for you and your journey and am grateful for your friendship and sharing here in my journey.
    Love
    Trish

    ReplyDelete