Friday 21 June 2013

A view from the inside...

Tomorrow night my ten year old and myself will be spending the night at a local homeless shelter. We will join others as we take a streetwalk and visit with the homeless and then we will spend the night sleeping in the shelter.

How can we expected to understand what people endure as they spend time on the street? We can empathize, we can imagine, but I think we need to experience it. I am sure that some people would wonder why I would include my young child in this adventure. This is a shelter that accomodates many alcoholic and drug addicts, people that others may see on the street and turn and look the other way so they don't get asked for money. One of these people could be my son, one of these people could be your son. Don't ever be too quick to judge and turn the other way, these people are our neighbors, they are people who have lost their way. I am including my son in this experience because we have watched our beloved boy; my son, his older brother choose to live this way; I have dropped him off on the very doorstep that we will be spending the night tomorrow, not knowing if I would see him again. That picture is burned into my mind forever.

Some facts: More than 50% of youth reported that drugs and alcohol addiction is a majoy factor contributing to their homelessness. Youth are the fastest growing population of homelessness in Canada.Since 2002 there is a reported increase in homelessness at 137%!!!!!!!!!!!!I will blog on Sunday about our Homeless experience. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. What an inspired idea - eye opening, though likely a little scary. I can't wait to hear about how it went. It takes a lot of courage to face this issue head on like you have been.

    I didn't realize how much teen homelessness was increasing... it's a sobering thought.

    ReplyDelete