Monday 24 February 2014

Recovery of a family

I'm not sure my family has been able to honestly say that we are in recovery until now. My family is healing, finally. 

Our visit with my son yesterday was beautiful. He looks amazing, healthy, peaceful. He is truly seeking himself. Reading books of his choosing. Going to meetings, groups, even church by his own choosing. The reason I say it is his choice is that I have always tried to control his recovery, I still do to a certain degree. I will admit that bribing often came into play as well. I bring him two books for him to choose one each visit, but I choose the books. There are a couple books that he has read already in his stay that I did not choose. Books about New Brunswick men who spent time in jail and turned their lives around. I see a difference in him, a big one. Well how would that not be possible? In 5 weeks he has studied his GED every day after not being in school for 2 years! He has read 5 novels, attended meetings and church, gained 40 pounds, attends the gym and grew an inch! I am so proud of his growth so far. I am feeling more comfortable every day to step back and trust. He is doing it on this own. 

Ironic how things work out. My family has been so much in these past few years, but especially this year. Now when things are finally starting to settle and I can feel the crisis lift, I find out that my brother is sick. It makes me question why? Why do we have to face yet another crisis? I can allow myself to really fall apart but I have to remember that everything happens for a reason, this was already in the plans. There has to be a bigger plan here. I will remain hopeful and positive that things will work out, that we can all handle this turbulent journey with strength and faith. 

Thought for the day: I am grateful for beautiful change that happens when I trust others to follow their dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment